Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is the self-regulating mechanism by which businesses choose to self-regulate in order to ensure their adherence to law, ethical standards, and international norms. Many companies, big and small, have implemented CSR principles in the way they are run; either from genuine concern, or in some cases to hypocritically project a caring image, according to critics.
According to Fortune, the 10 most "accountable" big companies for 2008 were: Vodafone, GE, HSBC, France Télécom, HBOS, Nokia, EDF, Suez, BT and Shell. I personally like what M&S are doing - the use of Fairtrade products in their stores, their involvement in charity and the community. Of course, other big retailers have similar policies, but I was impressed with the ambitious Plan A by M&S. It outlines 100 commitments that the company plans to achieve by 2012 in order to: become carbon neutral, send no waste to landfill, extend sustainable sourcing, help improve the lives of customers, employees and people in their supply chain.
On a personal level, I feel that apart from being ethical in business relationships, I should be suggesting more efficient and sustainable design solutions to clients. I would also be quite happy to contribute designs pro bono to underfunded worthy causes.
CSR / Critical Debates Task 4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments: (+add yours?)
Post a Comment