Contacting Organisations / Task 3

I have sent emails with questions to the World Steel Association and to WRAP, which is an organisation that encourages efficient use of resources in the UK. I am now waiting for a reply.
I was also able to interview Nikolay Kiryakov, who is the executive director of PRIM, a Bulgarian company supplying equipment to clients in the food-processing and canning business.
I gained some insight into the details of how food is processed and canned.
I also asked him how his clients choose their packaging. Their main concerns apparently are: 1. what sells 2. cost of packaging 3. tradition (for example - gherkins are traditionally sold in jars). The kind of product being packaged is also important, as there are certain foods that realistically may only be canned; there are those for which canning would be impractical as well.
Another interesting point made was a comparison between cans and jars. The only advantage of jars is that the content is visible. The cans protect the content much better; they are practically indestructible compared to glass; they are also more efficient from a production standpoint - they require less time to heat up and cool down due to metal conducting heat more easily.
Overall, some very interesting observations on the concerns of producers and manufacturers.




0 comments: (+add yours?)

Post a Comment