I was able to make contact by email with Petra Mo, Manager of Steel Promotion in the World Steel Association - she was extremely cooperative in providing VERY detailed answers to the few questions I sent her. I was very pleasantly surprised as the Association is not even UK-based, its office is in Brussels.
I asked the following questions:
1. As Manager of Steel Promotion, I suppose that a portion of your work deals with speaking to individuals/organisations that make decisions about product packaging (retailers, food & beverage producers, legislators, etc).
What are the main communications channels that you use to send out information about steel and to promote the use of steel? Do you direct people to online resources, do you use printed business-to-business catalogues/brochures or organise seminars/lectures?
2. In your experience, how clear are the packaging decision makers about the sustainability of steel packaging vs plastic/glass/carton? Are they aware of steel's easy and efficient recyclability? Or is steel being perceived as a product of heavy industry, and thus not very environmental?
3. In your personal opinion, what are the challenges facing the steel-producing industry in the future, with regard to sustainability?
Petra's answers were very detailed, 2-3 paragraphs for each question - a bit long to post, I thought. However, they did reveal some quite interesting information about the steel industry's priorities and the Association's activities in relation to steel in general and packaging in particular.
0 comments: (+add yours?)
Post a Comment